Breast reduction, which is sometimes called as reduction mammaplasty, is a type of breast surgery that contains reduction of extra tissues in the breasts like excessive skin, glandular tissues and fat. Reduction mammoplasty is mostly suggested for patients who are not comfortable with their breast’s size.
In this article on Mediranco’s website you can evaluate different aspects of this kind of surgeries. You can also reach more information about various types of breast’s surgeries on our other articles. Here you may read more about these subjects:
- What are the various reasons for having mammoplasty?
- Who are not suitable volunteers for having breast reduction operation?
- Which group of patients have to postpone their breast reduction operation?
- What are the possible risks of breast reduction operation?
- How patients can be ready for having breast reduction operation?
- How is the breast reduction process?
- How patients go along with Breast Reduction Surgery Recovery?
- What are the Benefits of Breast Reduction operation?
- Where to choose for having breast reduction?
What are the various reasons for having mammoplasty?
Although reducing the size of breasts are performed for patients with large size, it is performed mostly as a solution of these complications llike:
- excessive size which can cause chronic pain in shoulder, back and neck. Some of patients need to consume pain killers in order to enhance their comfortableness.
- itchy skin due to rash and irritation under the breasts
- neural pain due to excessive pressure on the spinal cord and peripheral nerves
- Most of these patients have problems with choosing the fitted clothes and bras.
- limitations in some of normal activities
- having psychological problems like poor self confidence and limitations in social activities
- some of patients may ask for this surgery just for creating better body shape
Who are not suitable volunteers for having breast reduction operation?
- patients who smoke
- patients with certain health conditions like hypertension, diabetes and ...
- patients with very high BMI
- patients who are afraid of having scars on the breasts
Which group of patients have to postpone their breast reduction operation?
Your plastic surgeon may suggest you to postpone this type of operation if you involve any of these situations:
- childbirth is very effective on breasts. Most plastic surgeons say that postpone the breast reduction until you get sure that pregnancy is not an issue anymore. Although some surgical methods can help breast feeding even after breast reduction, it is suggested not to have it when it is possible to have child.
- if you think of having special diet or exercise for loosing weight, try it before reduction mammaplasty operation. Because weight loss is very effective on the breast’s size.
What are the possible risks of breast reduction operation?
Like all types of surgeries, breast reduction operation has come with some surgical risks. Breast reduction is a major process and can result in infections, uncommon reactions to anesthesia, bleeding and... Other specific side effects of breast reduction are :
- temporary bruising
- breast scarring
- week sensation surrounding the location of the incisions
- problems in continuing breast feeding
- asymmetry in breasts ( size, shape and ...)
How patients can be ready for having breast reduction operation?
The process of being prepare contains these stages:
- first of all your plastic surgeon asks about your past medical history and your general health situation. Your past medical history, drug history and surgical history are very important and effect on the final result of the operation.
- Your surgeon may ask for complete various lab tests and a baseline mammogram. The surgeon asks you to stop smoking for a certain period of time before and after surgery because it can slower down the recovery process. Try not to consume any medication without your doctor’s opinion, medications like aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements. These drugs can cause huge bleeding.
- consultation session about creating realistic expectations of this surgery. In this session you are able to get information about possible risks, pros and cons of procedure, various methods and ... As it is clear, following the consultation with the plastic surgeon you can make the final decision easier.
- your breasts may be evaluated and examined and then you have to get some photographs
- at last if you may have the operation, you must have consultation about proper anesthetic method
How is the breast reduction process?
The time of the process and the duration of the hospitalization depends on your situation, sometimes the operation is an outpatient procedure and following of the breast reduction you can go home. In some other cases, the surgeon prefers to keep you in hospital at least for one night.
Most of the time, following general anesthesia that you were completely sleep, the hospitalization for even a night is recommended.
Although the duration of the procedure verys on many factors like the skill of the surgeon, the type of process, your health situation and ..., averagely it takes about two to five hours. Depending on the case and chosen expectations, surgeon may utilize on of these methods:
The process is clear. Like all surgeries which use liposuction, breast reduction can be done by this technique. They make tiny incisions on the breast’s skin and then fat and fluids are vacuumed. This method is useful for patients who need small changes in their breast’s size.
Vertical or “lollipop.”:
In patients who expect for moderately reduction or have visible sagging vertical method is recommended. Incisions are made around the areola and down to crease beneath the breasts. Then from that incision, surgeon takes some of the fat and other tissues away. Following the lollipop the surgeon has to reshape the breasts.
Inverted-T or “anchor.”:
In this type surgeon makes incisions on the edge of the areola. This method is suggested for patients who need a large reduction or annex alot of sagging.
The type of process which your plastic surgeon may utilize depends on your expectations. You can create realistic expectations following your consultation session.
How patients go along with Breast Reduction Surgery Recovery?
Your surgeon may ask you to rest at least for one week. You can not do your normal tasks easily. Following the operation you will get information about your follow ups. The doctor helps you know how to consume medications, how to sleep, how to remove bandages and instructions like not to lift anything heavy During your rehabilitation period you should not have physical activities.
Feeling a little tired and sensation of breast pain is very common and completely normal. If you are sensitive and afraid of the pain, they will prescribe painkillers for Few days.
What are the Benefits of Breast Reduction operation?
You can not believe how this surgery helps people who have large breasts. This surgery leads patients to have better life and lower their issues. The most common benefits associated with a breast reduction operation include:
- following the procedure you can have fun with a normal life
- the other important factor is about Long-lasting results
- it enhances the quality of patient’s life by decreasing the pain and sufferings
- breast reduction makes finding properly proportioned clothing easier
Where to choose for having breast reduction?
Mediranco is an online medical tourism company where you can search for the best plastic Surgeons in Iran. All plastic surgeons who work for Mediranco group, are specialized in plastic surgery and perform aesthetic operations in high qualified hospitals, so for choosing the right destination ask our group’s experts.
At Mediranco we think of creating of a perfect future for Iran’s medical tourism industry, our vision is to consolidate our company as a health care provider of equipped medical services to medical tourist who is looking to be treated abroad while offering our dear patients with brilliant options, doctors, and hospitals that Iran has to provide with affordable price.
We strive to unlock Iran’s medical tourism untapped potentials while at the same time improve health care networks around the world. For more information and having online consultation with Mediranco’s experts, contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Rhinoplasty or nose job, is one of the most common plastic surgery procedures. However, there is an…
Rhinoplasty, commonly known as a nose job, is a popular cosmetic surgical procedure offered at Mediranco…
Gender affirming surgery (sometimes called sex reassignment or gender confirming surgery) is…